Agile testing is a relatively new approach to software testing that follows the principles of agile software development as outlined in the Agile Manifesto.
A tester on an Agile project will work differently than one working on a traditional project. Testers must understand the values and principles that underpin Agile projects, and how testers are an integral part of a whole-team approach together with developers and business representatives.
There is a lot of confusion concerning agile testing – which means there’s an educational opportunity as well. The Agile Extension will give the tester the knowledge to be part of agile testing teams and achieve high performance.
This level is based on the Agile Tester Extension syllabus, see here.
The training and exams are currently held at Continuing Education – University of Iceland (Endurmenntun Háskóla Íslands), Dunhaga 7, 107 Reykjavík. See the schedule here.
Who should enroll?
This course is intended for all test professionals (e.g., test leads, test consultants, test analysts, test engineers) that are or will become involved in testing in an Agile project. Both senior testers that already have extensive experience in testing in traditional projects and need to understand how to apply their skills in an Agile project, and more testers who are relatively new to the profession are invited to this course. The course is also appropriate for anyone who wants an understanding of software testing in the Agile world, such as SCRUM masters, quality managers, software development and business analysts.
To be eligible to undertake the Agile Tester Foundation Extension certification exam, candidates must first hold the ISTQB Foundation Certificate.
You can take the exam without attending the course and vice versa, but the course helps you get a deeper understanding of the topics in the syllabus and prepares you for the exam.
What you will learn
Agile Tester professionals should be able to:
- Collaborate in a cross-functional Agile team being familiar with principles and basic practices of Agile software development.
- Adapt existing testing experience and knowledge to Agile values and principles.
- Support the Agile team in planning test-related activities.
- Apply relevant methods and techniques for testing in an Agile project.
- Assist the Agile team in test automation activities.
- Assist business stakeholders in defining understandable and testable user stories, scenarios, requirements and acceptance criteria as appropriate.
- Work and share information with other team members using effective communication styles and channels.
Which levels are available after Agile Extension?
The Agile Tester at Foundation level will in future be complemented by two Advanced Agile modules that are currently under development.
However, as holders of the Foundation certificate, candidates are eligible to continue on to higher level software testing qualifications, certifying themselves at Advanced level, and then at the Expert level.
About the exam
The exam is in English and is internationally valid. It is based on the Agile Tester Extension syllabus. The exam questions may require the knowledge of Foundation examination level and candidates must hold the Foundation certificate.
The Agile Extension exam is characterized by:
- 40 multiple-choice questions
- a scoring of 1 point for each correct answer
- a pass mark of 65% (26 or more points)
- a duration of 60 minutes (or 75 minutes for candidates taking exams that are not in their native or local language).
After passing the exam candidates will receive an Agile Extension ISTQB certification.